Nevada Reaches Tentative Settlement in Wildfire Lawsuit

Wildfire destroyed 24 homes

 

 

By SCOTT SONNER Associated Press

RENO, Nev. (AP) — The state of Nevada has reached a tentative settlement with dozens of homeowners and insurance companies that filed an $80 million negligence lawsuit after a fire destroyed 24 homes when strong winds reignited a smoldering prescribed burn south of Reno in 2016, lawyers told a judge Thursday.

The lawyers for Nevada and more than 60 plaintiffs who sued the state said the state Board of Examiners plans to vote on the unspecified settlement agreement June 12.

A trial to determine the amount of damages had been scheduled for December after a jury found the Nevada Division of Forestry guilty of gross negligence and liable for losses last year.

William Jeanney, a lawyer for the plaintiffs, said he can’t discuss details. But he told reporters after a brief court appearance Thursday it’s a “good deal” for everyone involved given the circumstances. He credited Gov. Steve Sisolak and Attorney General Aaron Ford for helping reach the agreement.

See also  Desert Communities Told to Evacuate as Winds Stoke Flames

“I’m pleased with what we were able to accomplish,” Jeanney said. “It was not easy. The state was looking at a very difficult damage value. … A tough puzzle to solve.”

A Washoe County District Court jury found the state liable in August for the loss of two dozen homes and 17 other buildings when the prescribed fire raged out of control in the Washoe Valley north of Carson City on land owned by the University of Nevada, Reno, a co-defendant in the lawsuit.

Dennis Hof, a prominent Nevada brothel owner who died last year while running for the state legislature, was among the plaintiffs who lost homes.

The fire burned more than 3.5 square miles (9 sq. kilometers) in October 2016 along the Sierra’s eastern front just east of Lake Tahoe.

See also  Oregon Wildfire Causes Evacuations in Prime Eclipse Zone

An independent investigation concluded in February 2017 the fire was caused by the ill-advised attempt to burn a large, wind-prone area with insufficient staff. Joe Freeland, the state forester and fire warden, later resigned.

The state argued during the trial last year the fire was an unfortunate accident and that firefighters did everything correctly during the burn intended to clear out overgrown vegetation to prevent future wildfires.

Jeanney said Sisolak and Ford — both Democrats who were elected in November — were significantly more cooperative than the previous administration under Gov. Brian Sandoval and Attorney General Adam Laxalt, both Republicans.

“There was not a reasonable, legitimate approach by the prior administration to try to resolve this case,” he said. “We had to go into a courtroom and prove that they were grossly negligent.”

See also  California Wildfire Smoke Closes Reno Schools

“We finally had an administration that was willing to listen and reach out to help,” he said.

Jeanney said the original lawsuit didn’t seek a specific amount of damages but “suggested cumulatively all the homeowners may have suffered damages somewhere around $80 million to $90 million.”

He said the settlement largely was reached during a three-day mediation session last month aimed at reaching a deal by May 31 to keep the case from going to trial.

Washoe District Judge Scott Freeman set a June 27 hearing to formalize the settlement contingent on approval by the Board of Examiners. It then would go to a state magistrate to divide up payouts to damaged property owners, Jeanney said.

___

This story corrects an earlier version to show 24 homes were destroyed, not 23.

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Topics

Wildfire destroyed 24 homes     By SCOTT SONNER Associated Press RENO, Nev. (AP) — The state of Nevada has reached a tentative settlement with dozens of homeowners and insurance companies that filed an $80 million negligence lawsuit after a fire destroyed 24 homes when strong winds reignited a smoldering prescribed burn south of Reno […]

Get The Wildland Firefighter Newsletter

Related Articles

Wildfire Threatens Unspoiled GA Island Rich in History

Wildfire Threatens Unspoiled GA Island Rich in History

  By RUSS BYNUM Associated Press ST. CATHERINES ISLAND, Ga. (AP) — Wildfires sparked by lightning have scorched hundreds of acres on this unspoiled island off the Georgia coast, where crews are battling to protect plantation ruins, the remnants of a 16th century...

Biden Signs Off on Hefty Pay Raise for Federal Firefighters

Biden Signs Off on Hefty Pay Raise for Federal Firefighters

By AAMER MADHANI Associated Press WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden has signed off on giving federal wildland firefighters a hefty raise for the next two fiscal years, a move that affects more than 16,000 firefighters and comes as much of the West braces for a...

How’re You Feeling These Days?

How’re You Feeling These Days?

When I first started firefighting as a seasonal with the Forest Service, my only stress had to do with my physical stamina to keep up with the crew and making sure my boots weren’t causing me any hot spots. Did I have enough water? Should I double lunch today? By the...